[jahsonic.com] - [Next >>]
Related: terrorism - horror - fear - violence
--American Heritage Dictionary
- Intense, overpowering fear.
- One that instills intense fear: a rabid dog that became the terror of the neighborhood.
- The ability to instill intense fear: the terror of jackboots pounding down the street.
- Violence committed or threatened by a group to intimidate or coerce a population, as for military or political purposes.
- Informal. An annoying or intolerable pest: that little terror of a child.
Recreational Terror: Women and the Pleasures of Horror Film Viewing (Suny Series, Interruptions - Border Testimony(Ies) and Critical Discourse/s) - Isabel Cristina Pinedo [Amazon US]
In Recreational Terror, Isabel Cristina Pinedo analyzes how the contemporary horror film produces recreational terror as a pleasurable encounter with violence and danger for female spectators. She challenges the conventional wisdom that violent horror films can only degrade women and incite violence, and contends instead that the contemporary horror film speaks to the cultural need to express rage and terror in the midst of social upheaval.
Through interpretations of a number of horror films including The Thing, The Wizard of Gore, The Stepfather, and Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer, Pinedo looks at how the postmodern elements of the contemporary horror film produce the conditions for recreational terror.
your Amazon recommendations - Jahsonic - early adopter products