[jahsonic.com] - [Next >>]
Amazon.com (NASDAQ:AMZN) is an American electronic commerce company based in Seattle, Washington. It was one of the first major companies to sell goods over the Internet. Amazon owns Alexa Internet, a9.com, and the Internet Movie Database (IMDb). --http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon.com [Jul 2004]
Amazon.com's Statistically Improbable Phrases (SIPs)Amazon.com's Statistically Improbable Phrases, or "SIPs", are the most distinctive phrases in the text of books in the Search Inside!™ program. To identify SIPs, our computers scan the text of all books in the Search Inside! program. If they find a phrase that occurs a large number of times in a particular book relative to all Search Inside! books, that phrase is a SIP in that book. SIPs are not necessarily improbable within a particular book, but they are improbable relative to all books in Search Inside!. For example, most SIPs for a book on taxes are tax related. But because we display SIPs in order of their improbability score, the first SIPs will be on tax topics that this book mentions more often than other tax books. For works of fiction, SIPs tend to be distinctive word combinations that often hint at important plot elements. Click on a SIP to view a list of books in which the phrase occurs. You can also view a list of references to the phrase in each book. Learn more about the phrase by clicking on the A9.com search link. --http://www.amazon.com/gp/search-inside/sipshelp.html [Nov 2005]
Amazon.com Capitalized Phrases
Capitalized Phrases, or "CAPs", are people, places, events, or important topics mentioned frequently in a book. Along with our Statistically Improbable Phrases, Capitalized Phrases give you a quick glimpse into a book's contents.
Click on a Capitalized Phrase to view a list of books in which the phrase occurs. You can also view a list of references to the Capitalized Phrase in each book.
For example, if you're looking at a Sherlock Holmes mystery, you can click on "Professor Moriarty" to see a list of books that feature or mention Holmes's nemesis. You can then browse a few pages from the books or click on the A9.com search link to read more about him. --http://www.amazon.com/gp/search-inside/capshelp.html [Nov 2005]
Bestsellers at Amazon.comThe online book retailer, Amazon.com, has altered the perception of bestsellers, by providing an hourly-adjusted sales ranking for all of the titles in stock. By being apparently based strictly on auditable sales to the public, the Amazon rankings can be odds with bestseller lists compiled from more casual data, such as the New York Times list's survey of booksellers. This situation suggests a similar one in the area of popular music. In 1991, Billboard magazine switched its chart data from manual reports filed by stores, to automated cash register data collected by a service called SoundScan. The conversion saw a dramatic shake-up in chart content from one week to the next.
Amazon's sales data has also generated new approaches to creating bestsellers. In 2004, Didier Sornette, a Professor of Geophysics and complex systems theorist at UCLA, using Amazon.com data, created a mathematical model for predicting bestseller potential based on early sales results. This information could be used to decide the potential for bestseller status, and to finetune advertising and publicity efforts. --http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bestseller [Apr 2005]
General DVD bestsellers
Cult DVD bestsellers
General music bestsellers
Dance & DJ bestsellers
Literature & fiction bestsellers
Early Adopter Art House & International
These are the newest and coolest products our customers of Art House & International are buying. This list, updated daily, is based entirely on purchase patterns.
Anime & Manga | Cult Movies | Science Fiction & Fantasy | All DVD
Amazon has not revolutionalised the bookselling industry because it offers such a vast collection of books, many of which are cheaper than at high-street bookstores. Neither because it has laid the ground for cross-selling opportunities by deploying highly sophisticated CRM technologies which track and record every single customer click. What is so special about Amazon.com is that it invites readers to send reviews of books and to rate them on a five-star scale along with a commentary expressing their thoughts and opinions on the book. Authors have the right to reply and other reviewers can comment on how useful the review was to them but they cannot change the review. --George Dafermos
Site FeaturesAmazon assigns a unique identifier to all items it sells, the Amazon Standard Identification Number (ASIN). For books, the ASIN is the same as the item's ISBN. Amazon offers access to its catalog via web services, much as Google does to its search engine. Google also provides search services directly on Amazon's U.S. site. --http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon.com [Jul 2004]
Since October 23, 2003, the company (in cooperation with around 130 publishers) has been making it possible for customers to search for keywords in the full text of more than 120,000 books (or 33 million pages of text). This allows users to perform searches on copyrighted printed material that is not readily available elsewhere except for texts in the public domain (see list of digital library projects for examples of these) or otherwise available in digital form. The feature is known as "Search Inside the Book." To avoid copyright violations, Amazon.com does not return the computer-readable text of the book but rather a picture of the page containing the found excerpt, disables printing of the pages, and puts limits on the number of pages in a book a single user can access. --http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon.com [Jul 2004]
- Placebo Sessions 1971-1974 [VINYL] - Marc Moulin [Amazon UK]
1. Aria 2. Humpty Dumpty 3. Planes 4. Showbiz suite 5. Balek 6. Only nineteen 7. Phalene 8. Temse 9. Stomp 10. Polk 11. NW 12. Dag madam merci 13. SUS 14. Plotselling 15. Bosso MarcMoulin.html
- Eskimo Vol.1 - Various Artists [Amazon UK]
1. Disco 4 - 33 & A Third 2. I can't go for that (no can do) - Hall & Oates 3. Say no go (bonus beats) - De La Soul 4. Planet E (Acid Drop mix) - KC Flight 5. Outta limits - Mission Control (1) 6. Awade (ah way day) (Stan's friendly mix) - Instant House 7. Get your own - Willis, Doug 8. You better (Es Cavalett mix) - Mount Rushmore (3) 9. STP - Mang, Ray & John Stitch 10. Flying machine - War (1) 11. Underwater (part 1) - Thumann, Harry 12. Disco drunkard - TET 13. Njia walk (street walk) - Fatback Band 14. Scraper (Psychonauts remix) - Liquid Liquid 15. Revival (original mix) - Girault, Martine Quite surprised to see no one has reviewed this amazing danceable funk-collection. Compiled by Belgium's finest dj-duo Mo & Benoelie. They pick the right tracks from any genre, as long as it's funks. You're just obliged to move!!... The True FunkMasters. --(firstname.lastname@example.org) from Kortrijk,Belgium
- Deep Beats - Essential Slow Groove Dancefloor Classics Vol.1 [Amazon US]
1. Making Love [Original 12" Mix] - Pam Todd 2. All I Want Is My Baby [Original 12" Mix] - Roberta Gilliam 3. In the Night Time [Original Album Version] 4. Sexy Mama [Original Album Version] - The Moments 5. I Want You [Original 12" Mix] - Tamiko Jones 6. Love Talk [Original Album Version] - Jim Gilstrap 7. You Are My Starship [Original Album Version] - Norman Connors 8. Valentine Love [Original Album Version] - Jean Carn 9. We Both Need Each Other [Original Album Version] - Norman Connors 10. Be Thankful for What You Got [Original Album Version] - William DeVaughn 11. You'll Never Know [Original 12" Mix] - Hi Gloss 12. Curious [Original 12" Mix]
- Futurism & Dada Reviewed - Various Artists [Amazon UK]
1. Risveglio di una Citta - Luigi Russolo 2. Corale - Antonio Russolo 3. Sintesi Musicali Futuriste - FT Marinette 4. Serenta - Antonio Russolo 5. La Battagli de Adrianpoli - FT Marinette 6. Definizione de Futurismo - FT Marinette 7. Cavalli + Acciaio - Luigi Grandi 8. End of the Enemy Interlude - Wyndham Lewis 9. Le Pont Mirabeau - Guillaume Apollinaire 10. L'Amiral Cherche Une Maison A Louer - T.Tzara / M.Janco / R.Huelsenbeck 11. La Mariee Mise A Nu....Meme - Marcel Duchamp 12. Inventing Dada - Richard Huelsenbeck 13. Dada into Surrealism - T. Tzara 14. Die Sonate In Urlauten - Kurt Schwitters 15. La Toison d'or - Jean Cocteau 16. Les Voleurs D'Enfants - Jean Cocteau 17. La Mariee Mise A Nu....Meme - Marcel Duchamp
- THE UPSETTER COMPACT SET - The Upsetters & Friends [Amazon UK]
Upsetter Compact Set combines three great Upsetters albums from the 1970s, Africa's Blood, Rhythm Shower, and Double Seven. Out of these three, Double Seven is the most crucial, Africa's Blood is a bit of a disappointment, and this is the only place to find the out of sight Rhythm Shower tracks. Dominated by groovy Upsetters instrumentals, some top rankers (Dave Barker, U Roy, Dillinger) show up every now and then to mash up the place. Killers include Dillinger's "Skanking", Winston Prince's "Place Called Africa Version 3", the always amazing "Kentucky Skank", and of course the many scorchers from the Upsetters. --upsetter.net
- The Politics and Poetics of Camp (1994) - Moe Meyer [book Amazon UK]
"The Politics and Poetics of Camp" is a radical reappraisal of the meaning and discourse of camp. The contributors look at both the meaning and the uses of camp performance, and ask: is camp a style, or a witty but nonetheless powerful cultural critique? These essays investigate camp from its early formations in the 17th and 18th century to its present manifestations in queer theatre and literature. They also take a look at the complex relationship between queer discourse and decidedly un-queer pop culture appropriations on film and on the stage. "The Politics and Poetics of Camp" is a collection of essays by leading critics working in queer theory, from a number of disciplinary perspectives. --from amazon.co.uk [...]
- The Brood  -David Cronenberg [1 DVD (PAL) Amazon UK]
Shocking movie on birth.
- L'Appartement  - Gilles Mimouni [DVD (PAL) Amazon UK]
Starring Vincent Cassel, Monica Bellucci, Romane Bohringer, Jean-Phillipe Ecoffey and Sandrine Kiberlain. L'Appartement is a stylish and sexy combination of love story and thriller in which one man is caught up in the passion driven fates of three beautiful women. Max, the romantic protagonist, is planning a marriage, investigating a murder, chasing after a lost love and getting bizarrely entangled with a mystery girl. Switching between time, women, chic cafes and beautiful Parisian apartments, Mimouni's film makes the most of its deliriously romantic setting whilst effortlessly unraveling an intricate and unpredictable plot which playfully ties its lovelorn characters up in knots as it races along to a heady conclusion.
Amazon UK Books
Memphis - Brigitte Fitoussi [Amazon UK]
Characterized by mis-shapen chair legs, vivid colours and strange combinations of materials, the work of Memphis - an international group founded in Milan in 1981 - upset every rule of functionalism and modern "good taste". united around Ettore Sottsass, the "intellectual counter-culture" the members of Memphis, young creative artists, architects, designers and graphic artists, put forward a new vision of furniture and objects fro everybody, composed of elements that were more emotional than functional, more artistic than commercial. In text and colour illustrations, this volume is a tribute to the originality and invention of the Memphis design group.
your Amazon recommendations - Jahsonic - early adopter products