[jahsonic.com] - [Next >>]
Related: attention - beauty - fascination - sensationalism -
In species which reproduce sexually, sexual attractiveness to other members of the same species is an important survival factor. --http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual_attraction [May 2004]
Sexual attraction in humans
Sexual attractiveness of a person to another person depends on both persons; to some extent there's a universal agreement as to what is sexually attractive among a species, but individuals have subjective opinions as well.
Much of human sexual attractiveness is governed by first appearances. This involves the senses, in the beginning especially:
- visual perception (how the other looks)
- audition (how the other sounds, mainly the voice; what may also vary widely it how noisy somebody walks (also depending on the footwear), but this is not necessarily a big factor for sexual attraction, either way)
- olfaction (how the other smells, naturally or artificially; the wrong smell may be repulsive).
A sexually attractive visual appearance in humans generally involves:
- a general body shape and appearance sanctioned by the local culture
- a lack of visible disease or deformity
- a high degree of mirror symmetry between the left and right sides of the body, particularly of the face
- pleasing bodily posture
However, these factors are complicated by many other factors:
--http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual_attraction, May 2004
- There may sometimes be a focus on particular features of the body, such as breasts, legs, hair, or musculature. Many people exhibit high levels of sexual fetishism, and are sexually aroused by other stimuli not normally associated with sexual arousal. The degree to which such fetishism exists or has existed in different cultures is controversial.
- The Westermarck effect was discovered by anthropologist Edward Westermarck. When two people live in close domestic proximity during the first 30 months in the life of either one, both are desensitized to later close sexual attraction and bonding.
Personality and sexual attractiveness
[...], there is no requirement for great physical beauty for a person to be sexually attractive, and personality and good manners come to the fore. In many cases, people with good personality can be strikingly sexually attractive, even if they are superficially sexually unattractive in appearance. However, as they do not have the advantage of instant attraction through appearance, this requires more social interaction to attract potential partners. --http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual_attraction, May 2004
your Amazon recommendations - Jahsonic - early adopter products